10 Worst Online Guest Blogger PracticesGuest Blog It, Tips, author: Whitney Segura 7.10.2012No Comments
One of the most important things that online entrepreneurs can do for their own promotion is the guest blog.
Being invited to be a guest blogger is much like being invited as a new neighbor into someone’s home.
- Essentially, they have expressed an interest in you as a person and in your writing.
- They key to being invited back, is to be on your best behavior and submit excellent content.
In the same way that you would not go into another persons home and blatantly promote your business, or wipe mud on their new carpet. So, you want to be aware of good online etiquette, in order to ensure that you do not offend someone in their online home.
- Guest bloggers can make a few mistakes along the way that may not get them invited back.
- Avoiding those pitfalls and making a good impression is the goal, so taking a look at the things that can prevent that may be in your best interests.
The top 10 worst online guest blogger practices & strategies are vital to running a killer blogger guest campaign, that is why it’s time for you to learn the top ways that guest bloggers offend the website owners and weaken that individuals professionalism:
#: 1 – Providing Content that is Not Fresh or Clean!
Unique content means more than just saying it in your own words.
- We’ve all been guilty of taking an idea from our favorite author and running with it.
- However, there is very big difference between crafting an article around a given topic and actually writing the same exact article in different words, without any additions or subtractions.
- Your audience deserves fresh content.
#: 2 - Providing Unorganized and Stale Content!
Reading a single paragraph that is way too boring will lose readers interest and fast, doing this isn’t great no matter how you slice it.
- Engage your audience and make them your own.
- Double and even triple check your entire article by reading from start to finish, this will give an idea as to if it’s correctly structured and organized. Making multiple drafts and re-reading can be a great indicator on how to change it, to best fit the best sequence of wording and information.
- You won’t have to ask for a visit to your site, they will just give you one.
#: 3 – Not spell checking and grammar checking your work!
While great grammar is not the be-all and end-all of online blogging, it does count.
- If they can’t get past their laughter at how you spelled a word, you’re probably not going to get invited back again.
- It’s shocking and frightening to know how many people are failing, to correct spelling errors and the misuse of phrases & sentences, especially due to the fact that the vast majority of writer’s use the spell check option, in many common document & word writing software.
- Anymore than 2-3 spelling errors on a given page will create an unprofessional and low class vibe to the website, having just 1 or 2 maximum errors on a single page is not too bad, depending on what they are.
#: 4 – Shameless plugs for your website!
The ultimate purpose of guest blogging is to get a few visitors back to your site.
- You’ll get them if you do it right.
- Creating a truly useful and original site that was made by and for human beings, will always be the best mindset to have when choosing your website’s plugins, themes, modules, and other software.
- Adding a shameless plug to your website is a huge breach of etiquette. Just don’t.
#: 5 – Try to start at the top!
Being a guest blogger means, that you’re guest blogging for a few sites that are less popular, at first.
- Don’t assume you’re going to start at Search Engine Land (@SEngineLand). You’re probably not.
- Be content with a few lower ranking and lower visibility sites to begin and work your way up.
#: 6 – Choosing Irrelevant Topics!
Choose a topic that is relevant to the blog on which you will post it.
- If you’re posting in a moving blog and writing an SEO article, you’re probably not coming back again.
#: 7 – Not Matching Your Tone to Your Blog!
If you’re guest posting on a very casual blog, but you are using grammar and language, that is best suited for a doctoral thesis.
- You’re not paying attention to the blog audience and they are going to know it. Match your tone to where you are.
#: 8 – Forgetting to Include Your Link – Adding Bad Links!
Many bloggers guest post and deliver it to their guest host without the link included or try to link out to a site that simply is not at all relevant to the blog.
- Add a link to your site, but make sure that your site is relevant to where you are posting and that you don’t try to add any other links that are not.
#: 9 – Writing the post in Word or another formatting method!
Your post should ideally be perfected in Word or Office, but then uploaded to your guest host in a text format to keep it easy to upload to their own site.
- Crazy fonts and other things simply do not fit into a guest blog post.
- Use them on an artist site and go professional on a post. Take your time and carefully make sure, you are certain that your following the website’s standards and other guest blogging post FAQ.
#: 10 – Failing to include a good by-line!
Your host does not want to do the work for you.
- Develop a good byline and use it with each guest post.
- Don’t depend on someone else to give that to you.
Everyone forgets or makes the odd mistake in writing, but ensuring that you offer a professional, interesting, relevant post will assure that you are asked back repeatedly to guest post on blogs in your niche area.
What do you think is the absolute worst 3 commonly used mistakes by beginners to guest blogging, as well as intermediate and even expert users?
- Either comment below or send a message, mentioning that you wanted to share your opinions and thoughts.
- Simple communication meetings can tell much, about the worst & best strategies and tactics used by guest bloggers everywhere!
Note: We will publish your article on our website and allow the author a link to their homepage. To be accepted and published the article that must be at least 600 words, be written and owned by the person submitting, and very high quality. Contact us today, to learn more about becoming a guest author at Guest Blog It!